Director of Engineering Is Among RT&S Honorees
May 2021 – The Railway, Track & Structures trade publication has selected Watco’s Drew White for its new “10 Under 40” award.
“It is sincerely an honor to even be considered, let alone awarded” the recognition, White said. “I couldn’t be more humbled and appreciative.”
White, a civil engineer, is one of only 10 people selected in the inaugural group for the honor, given to railroad engineering professionals under the age of 40. White has 15 years’ experience in the industry and has been with Watco since 2013 as Director of Engineering, driving the project design and development process.
His achievements since joining Watco are many. He and his brother John White, Vice President of Engineering Project Management, co-developed Watco’s engineering services, unique in the industry in that it provides engineering and design-build solutions (unlike other railroad or terminal operators). The Design & Development group’s results include more than 1,000 successful growth projects developed and executed over the last eight years.
Besides co-developing the engineering team, other examples of Drew White’s contributions and leadership include:
- The recent reconfiguration of the Baton Rouge Southern Railroad (BRS) yard for greater railcar storage, creating greater operating flexibility and increasing safety
- A crucial 2016 temporary oil-storage solution for the San Luis Potosi Distribution Terminal until the permanent solution was ready
- Design and development of the first inter-basin railcar sand loading facility in the Permian Basin to ease trucking constraints and increase reliability and surety of supply
- Pre-Watco roles leading the implementation of the $1.4 billion-dollar Chicago-St. Louis high-speed rail program and managing a 30-member BNSF team completing track maintenance and capital construction projects.
- Receiving BNSF’s Award for Excellence after leading the renovation of the Hannibal Subdivision in Northeast Missouri
- “Drew’s leadership and work ethic have set an example for many to follow,” said James Trollope, Senior Vice President of Project Management and Engineering. “I’m excited to see the contributions he’ll make in years to come.”
Read about others like Drew who are making a difference at Watco and beyond. Learn More